INFORMATION SHEET – CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
It’s ok to have home care
Your health is our priority. This includes protecting you from coronavirus (COVID-19).
Our care worker visiting your home is taking all necessary measures to ensure you stay safe.
This includes following advice from Australia’s Chief Medical Officer about when to use protective equipment.
Most of the time your care worker does not have to wear personal protective equipment such as masks, gloves, aprons or gowns, and protective eyewear.
Personal protective equipment must be worn by your care worker if:
• You have been diagnosed with COVID-19
• You are suspected of having COVID-19
• You are displaying symptoms of COVID-19
Any care worker displaying symptoms of COVID-19 is not allowed to work - and just to be sure, workers with symptoms are being tested.
Care workers are following the best medical advice to protect you and themselves from COVID-19.
If you have any concerns about your care services, or carer, please contact one of our offices, Flaxton 5445 7044, Maleny 5429 6152 or Nambour 5441 4441.
To find out more about COVID-19 please phone the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080 or go to health.gov.au
If you need to find out more about support services, contact My Aged Care by phoning 1800 200 422.
Protecting yourself against Coronavirus
Good hygiene and taking care when interacting with other people are the best defences for you and your family against coronavirus. This includes:
• covering your coughs and sneezes with your elbow or a tissue
• disposing of used tissues immediately into a rubbish bin and washing your hands
• washing your hands often with soap and water, including before and after eating and after going to the toilet, and when you have been out to shops or other places
• using alcohol-based hand sanitisers (60% alcohol), where available
• cleaning and disinfecting frequently used surfaces and objects
• stay at home and avoid physical contact with others, except when you need assistance or care
• avoid non-essential travel
• consider having the chemist deliver your medicines
• consider having your groceries and essential items delivered to your home
• stay 1.5 metres away — 2 arms’ length — from other people, when you can.
Look after your health
You should keep up your regular home care and health care. This is just as important as protecting yourself from coronavirus.
Have regular contact with your doctor and call them if you are concerned about any of your health conditions. They may be able to provide care over the phone or via teleconference, and face to face care is still available.
**This sheet has been compiled from information provided by the Australian Government – Department of Health as at 17th April 2020**